ISTE Certification for Educators is the only vendor-neutral, internationally recognized credential for educators who have demonstrated mastery of the ISTE Standards for Educators. ISTE Certification focuses on pedagogy, not on tools or devices, and is designed to change your educational practice, whether you’re an instructional designer, library media specialist, technology coach or in another role. The program combines 14 weeks of professional learning with a six-month portfolio application and review process, and recipients can apply to receive up to four graduate-level credits for their participation. Is it rigorous? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes!
What makes ISTE Certification unique?
- Focus on pedagogy: ISTE Certification prioritizes pedagogy over learning specific tools or devices and is designed to change your practice.
- Credible design: ISTE Certification is grounded in the ISTE Standards for Educators and is facilitated by ISTE Certified Trainers who are vetted and trained by ISTE, are experts in their field and who have demonstrated a deep understanding of the ISTE Standards in practice.
- Rigor: The program involves 14 weeks of online learning, followed by up to six months to apply learning and develop job-embedded artifacts for portfolio submission. Participants can apply for up to four graduate-level credits.
- Outcomes: ISTE Certified Educators are prepared to model effective practice for others in their schools.
- Lifelong community: ISTE Certified Educators join a global community of educators dedicated to supporting each other as they put the Educator Standards into practice.
Steps to becoming an ISTE Certified Educator
The structure of the fully online ISTE Certified Educator Course is to blend dynamic synchronous sessions with adequate time for independent and group asynchronous work in between. The 14 week course is designed to prepare you to work on your portfolio independently (but with support from ISTE and 21C Trainers).
Note: Currently only Online Certifications are being offered due to the Pandemic. We hope to have face-to-face sessions resuming in 2022.
Part 1: 14 Week Online Course
The 14 Week Online Course comprises 5 Synchronous sessions of 2 hours each. There are two weeks in between synchronous sessions during which there is 6-8 hours of asynchronous work.
Combined with offline work you should expect to spend approximately 40 hours in total on the 14 week online course. Actual time will vary depending on our prior experience with technology integration frameworks introduced and ISTE Standards.
Part 2: Curation and Submission of Portfolio
After successful completion of the online learning program, you’ll have six months to prepare and submit a full portfolio, which typically takes about 40 hours to curate. During the process, you can access a certification portal with support resources, as well as a community of others seeking the ISTE Certification. Once submitted, a team of trained evaluators will review your portfolio. Successfully meet the criteria and you’ll become an ISTE Certified Educator!
Download Sample Syllabus
Why is it relevant to me?
This credential recognizes educators who understand how to use edtech for learning in meaningful and transformative ways.
Why Get ISTE Certified?
ISTE Certification challenges you to stretch yourself as an educator and positions you as an expert among your colleagues. Becoming ISTE certified:
- Deepens and expands your teaching skill set in applying the ISTE Standards for Educators in practice.
- Allows you to earn up to four graduate-level credits.
- Connects you with an international community of education change-makers.
- Prepares you to model effective practice for others in your school or district.
- Identify yourself with the ISTE Certified Educator email signature and digital badges
Enhance your professional status and employability
With your certification in hand, you’ll earn the international recognition you deserve for your technology leadership skills. And you’ll be prepared to support your teacher network in integrating tech for all of the right reasons!
Join An Elite Group of 21CL ISTE Certified Educators
Want to discuss further?
Have any questions
Can I earn graduate credit?
How many hours does the certification take?
Can I take the certification if I am not a classroom teacher?
What is involved with the e-portfolio?